This locomotive was built by the American Locomotive Company (ALCO) in 1941. It was originally built for the Department of Defense and was the first locomotive placed in service by the National Aeronautics & Space Administration (NASA) at the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral, Florida. It was used to move spacecraft components and chemical fuels on the Space Center property.
This locomotive is operational and is occassionally used to position Museum rail equipment and can sometimes be seen giving Cab Rides on the property on weekends. The locomotive sustained damage to its windows during Hurricane Andrew in 1992. Volunteers are currently working to restore the cab interior woodwork.
Status: On Display, Unrestored, Operational.
Engine: One (1) 6 cylinder four-stroke diesel.
Weight: 230,000 pounds